Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Our Next Storm System & A Trip To The Tropics

We have been seeing some AMAZING temperatures out there today - with many of us seeing about 2 or 3 degrees more warming than we were expecting, and we were expecting a pretty warm day!

Look at these temperatures we're seeing according to MADIS (basically, a larger sampling of temperatures than we typically have access to) temperature data:

You can click that image for a larger version - and look at that line showing 70s! It's big - and close!

Now, unfortunately I'm missing out on some of this warmth - but I'm heading somewhere a little bit warmer for a weather conference. I was lucky enough to be invited to the Bahamas Weather Conference (www.bahamaswxconference.com) - one of only 100 television meteorologists from around the world to be invited. This is a huge honor for me & hopefully I'll come back well-educated on hurricanes and how they can impact the Sioux Empire.

Needless to say - it's going to be a cool conference to go to for someone interested in weather & the science behind how everything in weather is interrelated. Some of the speakers there are people who have written scientific papers a number of us read in college: Dr. William Gray from Colorado State University, Dr. Phil Klotzbach - also from CSU, Max Mayfield - the former National Hurricane Center director, and many more. I'm leaving at 6am tomorrow morning & will be very tired - but should come back next week with a wealth of new knowledge.

Also, if we're lucky and things work out - I'll have a report from the Bahamas via satellite to share with you!

Have a great rest of the week & I'll try to post if I can!

~KDLT Meteorologist Aaron Shaffer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts from you guys...